Saturday, July 17, 2010

all in a month's work

We are still trying to get used to the fact that we have another kid, despite the fact that Isaac has been living with us for a whole month now. It hasn't really been a huge adjustment because he has been so easy going. Aside from getting a little less sleep at night and spending much of the day feeding him, our daily lives haven't changed that dramatically...except for getting a million times better, that is.

Almost all of my friends with 2 kids say that the second one is so much easier, and not just because you sort of know what you're doing, but because the second kid really does tend to be more laid back than the first. That's certainly the case with Isaac so far. It's so hard not to compare him to Alex, but that is really the only point of reference I have to draw from. The fact that I blogged about Alex's every move when he was that age makes it even easier to relate the two boys. And in comparison, Isaac is one chill little dude.

He has been sleeping so well that we are just now getting to know his personality. He has more wake time now, and when he is awake, he is alert and curious. He stares at my face and smiles when I talk to him, and I love the way his little lips curl up on the sides when he does it. He coos occasionally, but he's not nearly as vocal as Alex was at this age, not really a surprise considering that no one on Earth talks as much as Alex does.

We are trying to establish some sort of schedule for him, but this stage tends to be a learning period so we are still trying to figure out his habits. He eats every three hours during the day, but I often have to wake him from his naps to get him to eat on time. I am trying to get him on a regular schedule soon so I can plan around his feedings a little better and get him to bed at 7pm because, for now, I usually end up feeding him at 7 and sticking him in the swing or the bouncy seat to nap while I help get Alex ready for bed. He has been sleeping in his own bed for almost three weeks now, and he generally sleeps for 4-5 hour stretches at night. He is already eating 4ozs. at his feedings so who knows, maybe he will start sleeping through the night soon!

He loves being swaddled tightly, loves his pacifier, and loves his vibrating bouncy seat. He doesn't fuss much and rarely cries. The only times he gets really upset is when he is really hungry or cold, and at those times, he goes from zero to sixty. Out of nowhere, this angry, shrill cry bursts from his little throat, which is always surprising to hear because he is so even-tempered the rest of the time.

He is a sweet, go-with-the-flow baby, so chill and content to lie around calmly and take in his surroundings, a vast difference from his older brother who was rarin' to go at conception and hasn't stopped moving since. I'm hoping his relaxed nature isn't short-lived - it's hard enough to keep up with Alex's energy and attitude right now, I can't imagine what I'd do if my little boy troubles doubled.

He is the perfect addition to our family, and I can't wait until we get to know him even better.


3 comments:

Chatter said...

Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL pics!! I especially love the first few of you and Isaac!! You are one blessed mama :). I am so glad to hear how good Isaac is doing.

momboe said...

My heart is breaking that I am missing even one minute of watching the kids grow! ugh!
The pictures are ALL AMAZING!!! You are so so beautiful! I love how Isaac's personality shines through in every one of them.
The family pictures are so great too and you will end up treasuring them the most on down the line.
Rachel what a GIFT you have! I know you work hard at it but there is magic in each of those snips of history!!
I would love to hear Alex's take on the first month with a brother.
Love you all!!!
Happy B Day Tim!!!

grammy said...

Just got home from spending a few days with A and I and celebrating Timothy's birthday. Turn on the computer and find this blog. Now here I sit crying my eyes out. What beautiful pics and what a beautiful family. I can honestly say that as Sarah said, I never heard Isaac cry except when he was having his 1 month checkup and they had to strip him naked !! That child is amazing. He is so loveable and loves to cuddle. His sweet expressions will melt your heart away. Alex, well I don't know where to begin. They threw the mold away after that one. With him you stay amazed at his little mind and he keeps you smiling from the time you get up until the time you go to bed. I just hope Sarah blogs about his 3 year checkup and the questionnaire she had to fill out w/tests for Alex. What an awesome Mom Sarah is to well 3 beautiful boys ::::))))) Hugs and kisses, Grammy