Wednesday, June 13, 2007

No News Is Good News

I'm sure all of you are eagerly awaiting the results of my appointment yesterday, so I will prolong the suspense no longer - there's absolutely nothin' doin' down there as of yet. Which is fine by me at this point. Although Leah is one of the most qualified people I can think of to be here for the onset of labor (thanks to her levelheadedness, medical training, and extensive baby experience), I just don't think I am quite ready yet. Another week of huge ankles, wicked heartburn, and oxygen deprivation and I may be singing a different tune.

So nothing of real consequence to report. He has not engaged yet, but according to Mari, engagement often doesn't occur with first pregnancies until the baby is actually on his way out. I was a little worried that, if he's not locked in place, my little squirmy guy would wriggle himself into a breech position over the next few weeks. But Mari assured me that my stomach muscles were strong enough to hold A in place until it is time to deliver. Didn't know I had any of those left, but hey, she's the expect on those sorts of things.

Leah (et al.) is desperate to know how big Alex is at this point, and although I have been unable to get Mari to even guess at his approximate size, Leah managed to convince her (like mother like daughter). However, much to Leah's chagrin, Mari estimated that he seems to be "about average" - in other words, probably not the super-huge Pillsbury Dough baby that Leah (et al.) was hoping for. Needless to say, I found that to be good news, being that I'm the one that has to deliver him...

Mari said that at this point, she usually recommends that the preggo take to walking regularly to naturally induce contractions. However, due to the state of my enormously elephantine tarsi (aka nasty cankles), she did not recommend it. She said I had plenty of time before any of that is really necessary, and that she would reassess the situation at my visit next week.

My next appointment is scheduled for Wednesday, June 20, so Mom will get to go and meet Mari. She and I will also be attending a two hour orientation at the hospital that night, where we'll find out where to go and what to do when I actually go into labor. Hopefully Alex will hang tight 'till then, otherwise we'll just have to improvise...

2 comments:

Weems World said...

I WAS waiting! So excited for you-can't wait to see the little guy!

Weems World said...

By the way- when are you gonna post more pics? I'd LOVE to see those cankles:)