Thursday, May 15, 2008

Where's the beef?

To say I have been busy lately would be a gross understatement. With our moving date quickly approaching - on May 23rd, the truck will arrive and several (hopefully) husky men will be loading the contents of our home into it - and Timothy's graduation this weekend, with party chez Evans to follow, I am in the throes of "crunch time".

Fortunately, the contents of our home have been reduced drastically thanks to a successful garage sale last weekend. Over the course of five hours, I had over 50 groups of people show up, and I would estimate that at least 75% of those bought at least one item. I won't divulge exact numbers, but I will say that we made somewhere between 289 and 291 dollars. Not bad for a half day's work, eh?

Oh, and get this. Remember Timothy's 1992 Ford Explorer, the one with the busted grille that broke down about a year ago and has since been an oil-dripping eyesore taking up space in our driveway? Well, we shifted that bad boy into neutral, pushed it out of the driveway and onto the cul-de-sac, where we planned on taping a "for sale - best offer" sign in the back window with hopes that some poor schmuck would hand over a crisp one dollar bill and haul it off for us. Otherwise, we'd have to arrange to have it towed to the junkyard, which takes precious time and energy that we just don't have.

By the time my first customers drove up around 7am, I was still pricing knick-knacks and had yet to put a sign on the Explorer. Nonetheless, after browsing through my diverse inventory and selecting a few choice items, the husband looked at me and said, "I have a weird question, but, do you happen to have any broken down cars that you'd want to get rid of?"

Say WHAT!? I felt a little bit like I was being Punk'd, cuz seriously, what are the chances that my first customers of the day would pull up and ask such a question, off the cuff? Pretty good, I guess. I said, "Uhhh, yeah, you can have that Explorer over there." Turns out, the guy was a metal scrapper and aluminum wheels are worth something. He offered a hundred bucks to take it off our hands, to which I replied, "Omigosh yes please thank you Jesus". Of course Timothy had already drafted a contract and related purchase agreements, etc., etc., so a few signatures later and we were Explorer free!

What wasn't sold at the garage sale I was able to sell or give away on Craig's List, with the exception of a large pile of random stuff that The Salvation Army is supposed to pick up tomorrow. Other than that, the only thing left in the garage is a large stack of cardboard moving boxes that I now have to fill with the "survivors" of our purge.

Of course, you can't have all work and no play. We have managed to squeeze in a little fun lately, too.

A has all but outgrown his carseat, so we went to Walmart to try out some larger models.

Alex practiced for his Everest climb by scaling our mountainous furniture.

I had lunch with the boys...

...and dinner with the girls.

A was exhausted from all the shopping, eating, and mountain-climbing, so on this particular day, he decided he needed to kick back and relax. From the looks of that gut, he needs to lay off the bottle. Or maybe it's just a bad camera angle. Mommy should know better than to take a picture from the belly up.

We also did Hugo's with the Primms, which was sooo fun and the food was sooo good. I'm actually having a hard time blogging right now because I can't stop thinking about how much I want a hamburger. I'll leave you with the last pic of Timothy and the boys outside of Hugo's, then I gotta go raid the fridge. TTFN.

No comments: