Thursday, October 9, 2008

Fifteen Months

While I've been swamped this month, Alex has had time to grow another month older. He turned fifteen months old today, and although the past month hasn't brought about any "significant" milestones, he accomplishes something new almost every single day.

His vocabulary is increasing daily, and what he said before, he now says more often and more clearly. He is working on his animal sounds and can tell you that a duck says "cack-cack", a dog says "roo-roo", a bee says "bzzzzzzzzz", a bird says "twee-twee-twee" and a cow says "mop". I don't know, maybe his cow is a neat freak or something. That, or he just hasn't gotten the "oo" sound figured out. He often asks for "crack", which I'm pretty sure means "crackers". And even if it doesn't, crackers are what he's going to get. When he feels a cool breeze, eats or drinks something cold, or hears the word "cold" spoken, he clutches his chest and says, "brrrrr". He's gotten very good at imitating sounds, although many of them don't stick around for more than a couple of minutes.

In addition to "this" and "that", the most effective word in his vocab these days is "more". Where he used to say it on occasion, he now uses it regularly to let us know what he wants. I look forward to the appearance of more words like these, so Alex can better communicate his needs. Especially since whining has recently become one of his primary methods of communication, and I'm not such a big fan of whining.

In regards to his increased whinyness, I am still going to give him the benefit of the doubt and blame his four giant, evil molars, which slowly burrowed their way through his sensitive gums over the last month. He now has twelve - yes, twelve - teeth in his teeny mouth.

But he is fun fun fun and is becoming more and more like a kid and less like a baby.

The past couple of weeks, as I've been planning to move and packing to move, poor A has been spending a lot more time in front of the TV. As much as I hate to resort to the boob tube as a means to keep him occupied, sometimes it is a necessary evil if I'm going to get anything done.

Because if I'm busy, I tend to get distracted. And if I get distracted, Alex tends to do things like this:

And this:

Yes, he climbed up there all by himself. And now that we've moved into our new place, he is sure to find all sorts of new trouble to get into. Hopefully I will be less busy and less distracted so that I can actually blog about it more than once a week.

No comments: