Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Day in the Life - August 1, 2007

At our last visit before we left Fayetteville, the pediatrician had suggested that we look for an accurate scale while we're gone to weigh Alex and make sure he is porking up like he should be. Fortunately, Great Aunt Suza works for an OB and was willing to let us use her fancy scale in exchange for getting a sneak peek at Alex before the rest of the family gets to see him on Sunday.

Admittedly, I was pretty nervous about having him weighed because the consequences of him not having regained his birth weight are less than favorable. For example, I would probably have to start supplementing, either with breast milk or formula. Not the end of the world, but I have my reservations. We have been planning on introducing him to a bottle at some point, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to do it just yet. Nursing him is often the only chance that I get to spend one-on-one time with my baby, and I have really come to cherish those moments over the past three weeks. That said, the thought of letting someone else bottle feed him doesn't really float my boat. Call me selfish, but I'm not ready to share that privilege just yet...

Luckily, I don't have to! According to the very official doctor's office scale, he has finally reached his birth weight and is back up to eight pounds on the nose. That means he gained a grand total of 12 ounces over the last week, a trend that we are hoping will continue until his weight check at the clinic on the 14th.

Besides getting fatter, Alex has done several other fun things lately. He really seems to enjoy the outdoors, so we took him to the park to watch Grandma B (yes, I said Grandma) play in her sand volleyball tournament. Alex cheered very loudly (and by "cheered" I mean "snored") from the sidelines and spurred the team on to victory.

Timothy and Uncle Nick are already very anxious to develop the boy's musical repertoire. To get him started, Nick got him an awesome quarter scale guitar and case, along with a lifetime supply of guitar lessons from his talented uncle. He already has learned some wicked licks and can do his scales with his eyes closed.

Grandma B also insists that he learn to play the piano - something she always wished her kids would do - so he and his daddy spent some time singing duets whilst tickling the ivories.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Alex,
Your guitar is so cool! Wow - your own guitar. I think I might be a little jealous. Last night during my bible story before bed, we read about the Ten Commandments, and the last one said that I shouldn't "long for my neighbor's things." I guess I'll just be excited for you then! Maybe you can share when you get back home? Miss you!
Love,
Oliver