Thursday, December 13, 2007

Before They Were Stars: Alexander Lloyd Evans

We are really banking on Alex inheriting Timothy's musical talents as opposed to my lack thereof. He is fascinated by Timothy playing the guitar and singing, and he even smiles when I sing (despite the fact that my singing typically elicits tears as opposed to smiles. What a good boy to humor his mother). With the Christmas season in full swing, I take every opportunity to play, hum, sing, and dance to Christmas music, which Alex seems to enjoy. He is particularly fond of Feliz Navidad - perhaps it's time to start scheduling Spanish lessons - and anything by Bing Crosby, Perry Como, or Sinatra. He seems to respond to the manly crooning - I guess that's why he likes when I sing to him...

Anyhoo, we are definitely hoping he will be musically inclined, and with his daddy, Uncle Nick, and Goddaddy Seth in the picture, it may be inevitable. Heck, he's already got his very own guitar that's just waiting to be played. For now, though, it seems that his instrument of choice may be of the percussive variety. For example, hand clapping and finger snapping render him wide-eyed and slack-jawed. He has yet to discover that beating his own hand against things will create the pleasant banging sound he likes so much, but he loves to play the "air drum machine" with a little help from his daddy.



I can handle a quarter scale guitar and the tolerable quarter scale noises that it will make as he learns how to play. It's the sound of a quarter scale drum kit that I dread...

No comments: