Monday, October 22, 2007

Headline News: Alex Pulls an All-nighter!!

We postpone our originally scheduled story, "We're Not in Kansas Anymore", to bring you this special bulletin.

Our beloved son Alex pulled an all-nighter last night, and by that I mean he slept through the night for the very first time!!

The experts say that when a baby sleeps for a five or six hour stretch at any point in the night, we should consider that to be "all-night". And I consider that to be a big heaping pile of baloney. A has been sleeping for five hours straight for a while now, but in my opinion, going to bed at eight and getting up at two certainly does not qualify as a full night of sleep. Maybe I am setting my standards too high for the little guy, but that just ain't good enough. To me, "sleeping all night" means sleeping for a period of time that a reasonable person would consider to be a full night of restorative sleep.

That said, Alex met and exceeded those standards last night by sleeping from 8:30pm to 7:45am!! Now that, my friends, is all night.

We came back from KC yesterday, went straight to community group, and got home around 6:15. His schedule was a little out of whack from the weekend, so he ended up going to bed around 8:30 instead of his usual 8. I went to bed at eleven and woke up at 3:30 - out of habit, I suppose - and figured he'd be up any minute. I fell back to sleep, and when I woke again, the clock said 6:06. Say what?!! I had to rub my eyes, just like they do in cartoons, to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Of course my first thought was, "Call the cops, my baby's been kidnapped!" Then I panicked and thought, maybe I should check on him...what if he's not breathing?!...what if he choked on his pacifier?!!...what if he scaled the side of his crib and fell out onto the floor?!!!! I took a deep breath and put my ear to the monitor, waiting for any sign of life. Moments later I heard a series of sighs and grunts, so I knew he was okay. So I waited. Surely he'll be up soon. Any minute now. Ninety-nine minutes later, I heard cooing and babbling coming from his room and new it was time to go get him and lavish him with thanks and praise for a night well slept.

Stay tuned for our original story, "We're Not in Kansas Anymore", which has been rescheduled for later today. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may have caused.

No comments: