Friday, October 5, 2007

Moving Out

It's bad enough when I get restless or bored spending every day at home with my twelve week old. But what's really sad is when that twelve week old, who is thoroughly amused and fascinated by blank walls and spit bubbles, decides you are no longer interesting enough to keep him entertained. Sure, we have a lot of fun together, but sometimes he looks at me like, "Hey ma, I've got you figured out. Ya think we can move onto something a little more challenging?"

At home, I try not to keep him in one place too long. He generally rotates between his bouncy seat, his Giddy Up and Go Gym, his tummy time surfboard, and his crib, where he can check out his mobile. And just recently, our new swing has added an outdoor element that will keep him happy for a while. But I just don't think that's cutting it anymore. Deeeeeep breath...it's time to venture out.

I am always a little reluctant to take him out in public by myself because I'm still not totally sure what I would do if I'm in a mile long line at Walmart, with a hundred bucks worth of groceries, trying to empty my cart onto the conveyor belt while fumbling through my purse for my wallet and trying to soothe a screaming infant at the same time. I hear my mom's voice saying, "So what. Babies cry. It's what they do. Anybody who has a problem with that can just get over it." As usual, mom's right. But that doesn't make the prospect any less daunting.

I do take him out and about on occasion, but when I have the option, I enlist the help of my hubby to run interference. So after Alex woke up from a two hour nap yesterday afternoon, I packed him into his car seat, we picked Timothy up from school, and the three of us took a family field trip to Walmart.

We were there for almost an hour and a half and he was such a good boy! I think he enjoyed this trip because he is better able to see what is going on around him (although he mostly just stared at Tim and I most of the time) and he can appreciate the change of scenery more than he did a month ago. He was pretty tuckered out by the end of it all and fell asleep the second we loaded him back into the car. The experience definitely gave me a boost of confidence and I think I'll feel a little more comfortable when I take him out alone next time.

And the timing couldn't be better. Bikes Blues and BBQ is again upon us, and this year, Alex will be joining in the festivities. Grammy, Papa, and Auntie L are on their way, so it is sure to be a fun-filled weekend. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

leah said...

now ever since alex can remember he's been poppin his collar :-)