Saturday, June 28, 2008

You had to be there

OMG, if there was such a thing as dying from cuteness overload, I totally would've been a goner tonight.

Sometimes when I put A down for a nap or to bed at night, I sing him a little ditty to help him drift off to sleep. Well really, it's not so much a soothing lullabye, what with the pitchiness and the being off-key and whatnot. It's more of a pep talk, per se. I don't know if you know this about me, but despite my complete lack of musical ability, I am quite the lyrical genius. So I make up Grammy-worthy songs with inspiring words, things like It's time to go to bed and go to sleep/Be a good baby, don't you weep/Go to bed baby, be a good boy/When you wake up, you can play with your toy. Mind blowing, I know.

ANYWAY, when I got ready to put Alex to bed tonight, as every night, I stood in front of his crib in the dark and cuddled him as I swayed back and forth. He laid his head down on my shoulder and started singing his own little lullabye, in the softest, sweetest voice that my ears have ever had the pleasure of hearing. His song had lyrics and a melody - both distinctly more sophisticated than my own - and as I stood there listening, I realized that I was experiencing one of those special moments that I would reflect on forever, until I am old and wrinkly and start telling stories that begin with, "I remember when..."

Once he started to quiet down, I said a little prayer, told him I loved him, and laid him in his bed.

I always regret not being able to capture moments like that on film, but then it occurs to me that one of the privileges of being a mom is having private moments with your child that you don't have to share with anyone else. Until you blab them over the world wide web, that is...

4 comments:

grammy said...

Hey Sarah - Poppa and I are in Blytheville, AR w/Michele and Rachel in the state softball tournament - They play in the finals at noon. We are on the bike and have our computer. You know I am a blog finatic. We all had a good laugh yesterday watching Alex talk on the phone and now this morning I just woke up and read this post. I've cried, praised the Lord and have had church - thanks for sharing these special moments w/us. Now go win state Rach!

momboe said...

All the sleepless nights and future frustrations are all wiped out by that one tiny little moment. Now multiply that by 3 kids and all their accomplishments and then multiply that by a bazillion squared and you will begin to get a glimpse of grandmotherhood. Remember all the times you thought or said, gesh! Why do they let Nick or Rachel get away with this and that.....
It just keeps getting better. Think how happy this blog just made us!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sarah, thank you so much for sharimg that blessed moment with us. Such a sweet tenderness! Doesn't it make you feel as if your heart will explode with love!!!? Once in a lifetime, memory to cherish.
Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Love you so much, Mimi

Weems World said...

That is so precious!